List of housing assistance programs in Detroit

Wayne County & Detroit Residents Housing Assistance Programs Contact Information & more

List of housing assistance programs in Detroit

Get help with rent and find programs that provide housing assistance, including grants for paying security deposits or eviction help in the Detroit Michigan region. A number of non-profit agencies, charities, churches and government assistance programs can provide emergency rental assistance to the low income in Detroit and across Wayne County.
Below you will find information on a multitude of services and resources that can help the low income, elderly, disabled, and unemployed pay their rent and housing expenses in the greater Detroit area. Most of the non-profits and agencies have limited funding available. When possible, these funds will be issued to help pay costs ranging from rent, security deposits, and the money can help people avoid eviction and remain in their homes. A number of homeless prevention programs and rapid re-housing services are also offered. Contact one of the Detroit and/or Wayne County agencies below for emergency rent assistance.

ACCESS - Information (313) 842-7010 – Provides referrals and information on Detroit housing and rent programs.

Society Of Saint Vincent De Paul In The Archdiocese Of Detroit, located at 3000 Gratiot Ave. in the Van Elslander Family Center, may be able to provide short term, limited financial assistance for rent, utility, heating and housing needs for individuals and Wayne County families who are experiencing an unexpected financial crisis. This will be available to those that do not have access to any other options or government programs. (313) 393-2930.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund – Helps veterans and spouses of deceased veterans as well as their children Dial (313) 899-1162

Saint Vincent De Paul is a partnership of local churches, some of which may be involved in shelters or energy bill / rental payment programs. The charity serves Detroit and Wayne County Michigan. Call them toll-free 1-877-788-4623. Limited financial assistance for paying rent may be available as well as referrals. More on Saint Vincent assistance in Wayne County.

Legal Aid and Defender Association offers assistance for low-income families facing an eviction. Free advice and/or representation is for those Wayne County residents being evicted from their rental property or apartments. The office is on Abbott Street in Detroit. (877) 964-4700

Adult Well Being Services distributes a limited amount of emergency financial aid for a variety of housing and other expenses, even including home repairs or medical needs. In some cases, a loan may be issued to pay rent or a security deposit. (313) 925-1135

Samaritan Wyandotte Ministerial Association may have assistance for the low income of Wyandotte Michigan. Dial (734) 285-8450 for information and/or referrals.

Michigan Department Of Human Services Wayne County - Grand River/Warren District Office has a main number of (313) 361-7300. There are several other sites, including in Detroit (313-926-8600) and other cities.
DHS offers emergency services including rent assistance and other forms of financial aid from SER. A number of states and government assistance programs are offered for the poor, unemployed, and struggling in Wayne County and Detroit Michigan, even including vouchers for a hotel, subsidized rental homes, and government grants for deposit help.

Wayne County Salvation Army. Not only do they offer shelter and emergency rent help, but the charity can also distribute food, clothing, and other emergency aid. They have several community centers around the Detroit and Wayne County Michigan. They are listed below.
  • Dearborn Heights Community Corps Center. Call (313) 563-4457.
  • Brightmoor Corps Community Center - Detroit Michigan based. (313) 532-1281
  • Grandale Corps Community Center - Detroit (313) 835-3736
  • Harbor Light Corps Community Center - Detroit (313) 964-0577
  • Harding Corps Community Center - Detroit (313) 822-2800
  • Temple Corps Community Center - Detroit (313) 897-2914
  • Plymouth Corps Community Center - Plymouth (734) 453-5464
  • Wayne/Westland Community Corps Center - Westland (734) 722-3660
  • Downriver Community Corps Center - Wyandotte (734) 282-0930
Wayne County Soldiers & Sailors Relief is another agency that is focused on serving veterans and spouses of deceased veterans. Information can be obtained by dialing (313) 224-8163

Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency – They run several different assistance programs. Among them include the Homeless Prevention Program, which provides housing assistance, case management and help to families and Individuals with children who are at risk of becoming homeless. If you apply and are found to eligible, clients can receive short-term support such as assistance with paying their monthly rent, security deposits, utilities or mortgage help.
Programs, application processes and available resources vary by location. Some centers may issue loans for rent and other expenses, such as utilities. That may be their procedure. There are several offices around the region, including.
  • Region I (Service Area: Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe, Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Woods, Hamtramck, Harper Woods, and Highland Park). Call (313) 826-0299 for information.
  • Region II (Service Area: Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Garden City, Inkster, Livonia, Northville, Northville Twp, Plymouth, and Plymouth, Twp,) Dial (734) 266-0190
  • Region III (Service Area: Belleville, Canton Twp, Huron, Twp, Romulus, Sumpter Twp, Van Buren Township, Wayne, and Westland. Get Information by dialing (734) 782-6332.
  • Region IV (The Service Area for this region is Brownstown Twp, Flat Rock, Gibraltar, Grosse Ile, Riverview, Rockwood, Trenton, and Woodhaven). Call  (734) 287-2343 for Information.
  • Region V (Service Area: Allen Park, Ecorse, Lincoln, Park, Melvindale, River Rouge, Southgate,
    and Wyandotte). Dial (313) 843-2550 for Information.
Eviction Prevention and Rapid Rehousing is used by both tenants and the homeless. Financial aid in the form of grants pay rental arrears, moving costs or address needs such as a motel voucher. Wayne County Michigan low-income families can also use legal aid to stop homeless or deal with disputes over rent or security deposits. More information on homeless prevention in Wayne County.

Additional Detroit area rental assistance service providers

Coalition on Temporary Shelter
26 Peterboro Street, Detroit, MI 48201
Telephone number - (313) 831-3777
Wayne County Neighborhood Legal Services
Address - 455 W. Fort Street, Suite 214, Detroit, Michigan 48226
Phone number - 313-874-5820
United Community Housing Coalition
Location address - 220 Bagley, Suite 2224, Detroit, MI 48226
Dial - (313) 963-3310
Detroit Neighborhood City Halls – You can contact your local government city hall as well. They can help people find and apply for rent and housing assistance, learn about government programs, and offer services such as landlord-tenant dispute resolution. Some centers have information on transitional and temporary housing as well. Or free motel vouchers may be given during the cold weather. The offices, phone numbers, and addresses are listed below.
  • Central District - Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
    2 Woodward Avenue - Suite 106,
    Phone number of this office: (313) 224-2989
  • Northwest District
    Address - 19180 Grand River,
    Dial for help or information - (313) 870-0649
  • Northeast District
    2328 East 7 Mile, Suite #2,
    Office number: (313) 628-2160
  • West District
    Address of this office is 18100 Meyers,
    Call (313) 628-2190 for information on housing or rent programs.
  • East District
    Center address - 7737 Kercheval,
    Telephone - (313) 628-2170
  • Southwest District
    Address - 7744 W. Vernor,
    Phone number - (313) 628-2180
Detroit Planning and Development Department. (313) 224-9224. This organization runs the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program, which can provide grants to pay rent up to 18 months, moving costs, motel and hotel vouchers, and security deposits.
CAM - Coordinated Assessment Model/Coordinated Entry System offers permanent supportive housing, financial help for paying moving expenses or deposits, rapid rehousing, and more. Referrals to rent or power disconnection programs may be offered to stop homelessness, including deferred cash loans. Call 313-305-0311.
Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services is a non-profit located in Dearborn. Call (313) 842-7010. Some funds may help with expenses ranging from rent arrears to shelters and energy costs. They also offer information in Arabic.
Southwest Counseling Solutions offers homeless prevention to veterans only. SSVF may offer government grants for assisting with paying back rent. They also offer help in locating low income apartments and other housing assistance in Wayne County. Call (313) 841-8900.
Health Emergency Lifeline Programs – HIV/AIDs patients can get help for rent, emergency housing funds, and other financial assistance. Any money paid out for rental costs is limited. 1726 Howard Ave.  (313) 832-3300

Wayne County Veterans Affairs Department – Veterans and their families, including wives, husbands, widows, widowers, minor children and mothers, may get emergency rent and housing assistance. 28 W Adams Suite 1710. Detroit, Michigan (313) 224-5045


Popular Posts